Google Summer of Code Certificate

I just received my certificate of completion and very proud of contributing to digiKam in KDE this summer, and grateful to Google, the people of KDE and my mentors for making this possible.

Now I can also celebrate that I graduated and earned my Bachelor degree from Faculty of Engineering, Ain Shams University in July having delayed this celebration for a while.


Farewell GSoC’17

I just submitted my GSoC evaluation, it’s a farewell to the journey that lasted for more than 3 months since my proposal was accepted to participate in the program to implement the healing clone tool.

This is a video of a demo for the tool Healing Clone Tool , and my final status report containing links to code and details of work Status Report .

It has been a great journey, thanks to my mentor, KDE and digiKam coordinators, and great community for the continuous feedback and the encouraging comments. I’m proud to be contributing to this great software and planning to continue.

Healing clone tool first healed image

This was the first time I used the new healing clone tool for the image editor in removing dust spots from a famous photo used in many online tutorials of similar programs, the user interface changed than the initially planed to be more user friendly, as the available functionality in the editor itself appeared to enable a more user friendly scenario than what I had on my head when I started coding, I will attach a screenshot of the tool and my trial to fix the image in this post. And document the journey with more details about the code and the tool usage in the next few days.

Screenshot from 2017-08-15 22-53-56


First coding month

Heading towards the first evaluation:

Even the exams and graduation project work this month, heading towards the first evaluation according to timeline with the planned UI ready for further development and started the search with examining a similar tool in gimp, and had more insights about the details of how the “Image Editor” works on a deeper level and how I should work to get to my next milestone of static parts cloning supporting the variable radius within the next 11 days.